Thank you for your interest in volunteering! Volunteers are essential to the work we do here at BAHS.
Volunteers must be over the age of 16 to volunteer without an adult. Children ages 13-15 can volunteer with a parent present. If you are interested in opportunities for children under the age of 13, please check out the Youth Volunteering tab.
Once the application is filled out, we will schedule a tour and provide training. Please see the jobs that are available to volunteers below. Email our volunteer coordinator at email@example.com with any questions.
Animal Socialization Team
Site Maintenance Team
Community Education Team
Front Desk Team
Adoption Event Team
Volunteers with more than 10 animal socialization volunteer hours and handle animals at adoption events. These events are an important part of getting our pets adopted!
Vet Drop Team
Are you available in the mornings or afternoons to assist with vet drops? Our pets have scheduled appointments with many area veterinarian for spay/neuter, etc. Members of the vet drop team pick shelter pets up and take them to and from their medical appointments.
BFtF Program (Best Friends til Forever)
Our BFtF Program (Best Friends til Forever) gives experienced volunteers a chance to provide one on one attention and training to BAHS animals. This may be a 2 week commitment or a 6 month commitment, depending on how long your BFtF stays with us.
Volunteers interested in this program must:
- Be a current volunteer with at least 10 animal socialization hours
- Visit your BFtF at least 2 times per week
- Dog BFtFs must meet with our adoption counselors at least 2 times per month to work on obedience training
- Once you have 30 or more animal socialization volunteer hours you should take your BFtF to at least one special event per month (for example, Pet Smart adoption event, Race for Rescues, Ice Cream Social, Doggy Egg Hunt, etc.)
- Post on social media about your BFtF or provide media for our social media coordinator. No pictures of the animals in their kennels please. Outside pictures and pictures of you with your BFtF are perfect!
- Assist adopters who may be interested in your BFtF by providing them with information about your new friend
- Write a short note in a diary after each visit about what you did and your animals behaviors. Stay positive, but be honest.
Volunteers who are interested in becoming a BFtF can contact our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply and be matched with your shelter pet.